I have had a hard time finding things to talk about here recently.It has bothered me to the point that I have spent a lot of time thinking it. Finally this morning, an idea came! I will tell explain the Monday Rule.
Years ago when we first began our homeschool adventure, my family made up the Monday Rule.We originally decided to do this partly because traditionally weekends were more busy than the rest of the week and we really needed the rest. It was also a day to enjoy our uniqueness as a homeschooling family.
The rule has several parts:
- No educational activities are to be done unless all involved agree to do them.
- Everybody in the house can sleep as late or often as they want, unless required by their employer to go to work outside the home.
- Everybody can and is encouraged to take as much or little individual down time as desired or needed and in the way that meets their own needs.
- Meals are to involve as little preparation as possible. The eating of leftovers is encouraged, but not required.
- House hold chores are kept to a bare minimum. This means the dishwasher is only run when everyone is awake and can handle the sound of it without being disturbed.
- There is normally some minor pickup of clutter but this is limited to what is necessary to make the home livable by common safety and health practices.
- The above rules apply to all members of the family and can only be changed by a unanimous decision of all involved. There is one vote per person and all votes are equal in weight.
In a nutshell: Monday has been a down day in my household for years. It has proven its value and worth for us repeatedly. Instead of dreading Monday we enjoy and treasure it.
May your day be as happy and pleasant as ours!