Fall is my favorite time of year. I come alive and become energized.
- Chilly mornings and evenings
- Getting out warm blankets, some of them handmade
- Flannel sheets on beds
- Enjoying my favorite hot beverage
- Reading a good book
- First frost of the season
- Driving without air conditioning
- Walks on leaf covered walkways
- The Baseball World Series
- Knitting and Crocheting
- Using the furnace occasionally
- Making some of our favorite foods:
- Pumpkin Pie
Yesterday was fun by my standards. I fell in love with playing around on computers from the first time I saw the original Apple 11c. It intrigued me and caught my imagination and sense of fun. I was hooked. My first computer provided lots of fun and learning.
Fast forwarding more than twenty years, One of my ideas of fun is still to have computer time. I enjoy playing around on the internet; blogging and playing around with themes. My free time yesterday was spent making some changes to this blog. My goal was to minimize some of the clutter and still place information on the site that I want to have here. That meant weeding out and replacing dead links;playing around with color changes;rearranging some pages and adding links to a side bar.
In the middle of doing those things I learned how to use and work with custom menus in order to make them look pleasing to me. I also learned where and how to make sticky-notes. Those were some fun and simple skills to acquire.
There are more things to do but they will have to wait until time permits.
I have had a hard time finding things to talk about here recently.It has bothered me to the point that I have spent a lot of time thinking it. Finally this morning, an idea came! I will tell explain the Monday Rule.
Years ago when we first began our homeschool adventure, my family made up the Monday Rule.We originally decided to do this partly because traditionally weekends were more busy than the rest of the week and we really needed the rest. It was also a day to enjoy our uniqueness as a homeschooling family.
The rule has several parts:
- No educational activities are to be done unless all involved agree to do them.
- Everybody in the house can sleep as late or often as they want, unless required by their employer to go to work outside the home.
- Everybody can and is encouraged to take as much or little individual down time as desired or needed and in the way that meets their own needs.
- Meals are to involve as little preparation as possible. The eating of leftovers is encouraged, but not required.
- House hold chores are kept to a bare minimum. This means the dishwasher is only run when everyone is awake and can handle the sound of it without being disturbed.
- There is normally some minor pickup of clutter but this is limited to what is necessary to make the home livable by common safety and health practices.
- The above rules apply to all members of the family and can only be changed by a unanimous decision of all involved. There is one vote per person and all votes are equal in weight.
In a nutshell: Monday has been a down day in my household for years. It has proven its value and worth for us repeatedly. Instead of dreading Monday we enjoy and treasure it.
May your day be as happy and pleasant as ours!
Steve Jobs 1955-2011 (Oct. 5 )
Thank you. Rest in Peace